Historic Site: Tennessee State Capitol
The Tennessee State Capitol stands today much as it did when it first opened in 1859. This graceful structure was designed by noted architect William Strickland who also designed the historic Downtown Presbyterian Church. When Strickland died suddenly during construction in 1854, he was buried in the north facade of the Capitol.
The cornerstone for the building was laid on July 4, 1845, and construction finished in 1859. The grounds of the State Capitol contain statues honoring Sam Davis, Sgt. Alvin York, and Presidents Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson. The tombs of President and Mrs. James K. Polk are also located on the Capitol grounds.
For more information, including tour information visit the Tennessee General Assembly website.