Historic Site: Franklin Battlefield
Franklin Battlefield was the site of the Second Battle of Franklin, which occurred on November 30, 1864, in the Civil War. It is located in the southern part of Franklin, Tennessee, on U.S. 31 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Visitors to the site can tour The Carter House and outbuildings, which was located at the center of the Union position and still shows hundreds of bullet holes. The Carnton Plantation is also open to the public. During the battle the Carnton house and outbuildings were used as a field hospiatal. Adjacent to Carnton is the McGavock Confederate Cemetery, where 1,481 southern soldiers are buried.
Another 110 acres of battlefield are next to the Carnton Plantation.
For more information about the site, including operating hours, visit the Battle of Franklin Trust website.