Historic Site: Downtown Presbyterian Church, Nashville
Designed by William Strickland, who was also the architect of the State Capitol, the Downtown Presbyterian Church is one of the few well-preserved examples of Egyptian Revival architecture in the United States. Completed in 1851, the church was used as a hospital by the Union army during the Civil War. The building underwent extensive remodeling after 1865 and in 1882, the interior was painted with colorful, symbolic designs and perspective paintings, creating the impression of an Egyptian temple.
For more information, including tour information visit The Downtown Presbyterian Church website.